Sep 10, 2012

Quick Tail Wrap

Winter is sneaking up on us again, so many of us are thinking about tail wraps.  However if you just need a quick temporary tail wrap this works well, especially for keeping hair out of the mud.  I have wrote an article or two on sewing tail bags, but what if you need a quick fix, because you either do not have the time or resources to sew a tail bag?  Then you can use this quick fix, which I used on my Arab mare just last week.

To sew and use cloth tail bags, check out this.

You Will Need:
Vet Wrap
Rubber bands


First I braided her tail, used two rubber bands at the bottom to hold the braid and then folded it up and used a few rubber bands to hold it in place.

It should look something like this:


Next I took the Vet Wrap, I started in the middle of the braided area of the tail, worked my way up the tail and then worked my way down and then back to the middle.  Once I reached the middle again, I tied it off in the middle to hold it in place.

It will look something like this:

I left her tail up like this for about a week.  The reason I decided to use this method is because I did not have an extra tail bag on hand and it was really muddy out, and it irritates me to let their tails drag in the mud.  Not only do they get gross, but it also breaks hairs, which thins the tail.  A horse's tail is very important to me, especially since I do not own any fake tails, so I take good care of their real ones.  

Before wrapping her tail in the vetwrap, I cleaned and conditioned it, including putting a leave in conditioner.  That will help restore her hair from the mud which dries it out and makes the hair's brittle.

(This is a re-post from 2009)

1 comment:

  1. Excellent how to post! I've always thought about using one for my appendix but no one at my barn uses tail bags! But then again my horse is the only one who could really use some extensions!!! I'll definetly need to try this over the winter!
    Love your blog! Keep up the helpful hints!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, what you like, don't like, or just your opinion on the subject! My comments are open to anyone, so you can leave anonymous comments.
This is also a great way to ask me questions on the subject.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...